The Reason Why

 

The Reason Why


The Power Of Inspiration

At a music school, you teach music lessons. That's a given, right? 

But is that the goal for the student? To take lessons as an activity?

I don't think so.

People don't sign up for Music lessons as an activity like arts and crafts (although I have had some families like this). 

People sign up for lessons because they want to PLAY music or they have a goal or vision of what they'll be able to do by taking lessons. 

So let me ask you a question.

What did you want do be able to do by taking lessons?

i.e; "I wanted to ______"

Goals


Goals are important. Many music teachers understand this. Public, or even private performances in front of others is one of the biggest ways you can motivate students to practice and retain them. 

A recital is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. It's an expectation that the student needs to be prepared or accountable to themselves, their family and audience.

Now, performing in a recital is good. But many students, had the idea to do something more when they first made the decision to take lessons.

Which brings up the question: 

What inspired you to take Music lessons? 

Did you see a music video? 

Did you see someone performing? 

Were you at church, a concert, watching your family or friends play? 

For me, I heard a song on the radio. 

After hearing that song a few times, I started imagining being on stage with the band. 

Far fetched I know, but I imagined everything. The guitars and amps, the stage, the costumes, the lights, the screaming audience. I could see it all in my head! This was the reason why I had to play the Guitar!

Flash forward many years and I saw an opportunity with our own business to provide the dream I saw in my head. 

It seems so obvious now. Why aren't we giving customers the reason why they picked up an instrument?

So, we created Rock concert productions ("high end recitals") for our students that rivalled bands out on tour. 

I wanted everything I talked about in the Disneyland model (see previous blog post). The anticipation, the culture, the experience only with the addition of comradery and friendships through putting on an impressive and entertaining concert. 

In a nut shell, I wanted our entire community to think of our music school first when they got the idea of taking music lessons. Or better yet, inspire people to take lessons after hearing about our shows.



Build The Dream And They Will Come

The picture you see above, was taken from the sound board of one of our concerts. In the distance, there's over 200 students on stage. The audience of nearly 860 people is giving the students a standing ovation. 

I remember being on that stage many times when we brought all our students out at the end of the concert. I'd look around the stage and saw many kids smiling, talking to other students, taking it all in. Many looked so proud staring out into the audience as they clapped, cheered and whistled.  I always saw a few students moved to tears, experiencing the overwhelming appreciation of an audience that size. 

In two words, life changing. 

We had developed a culture and a feeling of belonging to hundreds of students at each show.

It's kind of hard to believe that we put on two concerts like this every year for 16 years and we only missed two shows because of the pandemic.

I'll talk more about how we put these shows on in future blog posts, but for now I want you to think about the what if's starting with: 

What if I don't do this? 

What if there was another school nearby that did? 

What would happen if we did this? What would that do for our business? 

You have to consider that this would be a goal, the same as a recital, only bigger. You're probably organizing a recital a couple of times a year right now. What can you do to involve more students in a group?


What can you do to involve more students in a group?

Personally, if I saw the picture above and the concert had been done locally, I'd be jealous of the school that put it on! To me this performance would mean they would likely have the market share of students on our area or be on their way to it. That music school would be THE place to go to take lessons.

And if it hadn't been done before locally, I'd be jumping on it! This is the reason why many people take music lessons to begin with!




So here's the question. What do you think the end results will be for YOUR CUSTOMERS if you did this?

Focus on the customers needs and experiences and everything you want for your business will happen organically.


Noel Wentworth (Guitar, Bass, Ukulele Instructor) is the former Vice President of Education for the internationally recognized Wentworth Music Education Centre in Kelowna, BC, Canada. He is the first Canadian NAMM University speaker where he gives regular presentations on how to grow a music school and now co owns the Upbeat Music Academy Kelowna with his wife Lora https://upbeatmusicacademy.ca


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They say you should never meet your Heros

Beginner Guitar Lessons Kelowna