They say you should never meet your Heros

  

They Say You Should Never Meet Your Heros

Noel Wentworth


Once upon a time, I had a dream.

I suppose a lot of people can say that.

Since I was 11 years old I wanted to be a famous musician, playing on stage with my hero's or being the hero myself. 

In a nutshell, I wanted to feel important through performing and being a Musician.

I remember the day clearly. I was in my room listening to the radio when RATT's Round and Round came on. I heard the Guitar part played by someone named Warren DeMartini. 

His Guitar parts spoke to me. The movement of the riffs, the fingering and odd chord structures. I knew almost immediately I had to learn how to play the Guitar!

At first, every time that song came on I imagined myself on stage with Warren. I played all the harmony Guitar parts while Warren did what he was meant to do. Play an amazing solo and rock the audience to its very core.

Years later, my 11 year old older-self met Warren in California at the NAMM show. 

I stood in line for 25 minutes to get Warren's autograph, but it was way more important to do something else. I needed to tell him something.

When I got to his table he asked "who can I make the autograph out to?"

I told him "I don't want an autograph".

As his security guard immediately stepped in (I can only imagine why), I told him "I just wanted to thank you.

His security guard relaxed and began to listen to my story with Warren.

I said "Because I heard Round and Round on the radio, you inspired me to learn how to play the Guitar."

"That lead me to be in a band, learn how to write music, go to music school, performed in dream like places around the world, release my own music and started a music school that's grown to over 600 students (later it would grow to 1200+). All because I heard your song on the radio..."

Warren dropped his pen. He was visibly moved by my words. "You just made my day", he said. "What are you doing tonight?"

I told him I couldn't go far. I didn't have a car and I had to catch a very early flight.

He said "Can you change your flight? I want you to be my special guest in Hollywood tonight"

My heart sank as I was touched to the core.

I couldn't believe it. My hero, my inspiration, was asking me to be his special guest IN HOLLYWOOD,  AND I COULDN'T GO!

I'll regret for the rest of my life not asking for his email or phone number. It would have been amazing if I could have checked in with him from time to time to share the excitement that my life was unveiling all because of that song and my far fetched dream.

During my career, I've been incredibly lucky (and grateful) to perform on stage with some amazing veteran musicians that I grew up with listening to on the radio. Alan Frew (lead singer for Glass Tiger), Prism, Darby Mills (Headpins and DMP), Andrew Johns (Boulevard), Nancy Nash (harmonies and session vocalist on many hit songs like Loverboy's Turn me loose and Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi). Many of these artists I proudly call my friend.

But you know what, I've never had the chance to play with Warren. 

To be honest, I've never even learned the RATT song that inspired me all those years ago.  

It was the dream of being on stage with him that mattered most. 

Having a brief moment with Warren while recognizing the vision I had was one of the greatest stories I could could carry with me for the rest of my life. 

His song was the catalyst to propel me on my musical journey that that has now impacted thousands of children and their families lives through my music school. 

Noel Wentworth
Guitar Teacher
Upbeat Music Academy Kelowna
Kelowna, BC, Canada

https://upbeatmusicacademy.ca


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reason Why

Beginner Guitar Lessons Kelowna